The motto is “the microbial world” while the philosophy is that since man lives in the microbial world, there is a need to understand the biology of the many diverse microbes to harness the activities of these tiny giants for sustainable development, nation building and the overall betterment of mankind.
Mission and Vision
- To produce academically and professionally qualified microbiologists who will help raise the standard of our industrial production and ensure quality control of such products who will perform effectively in hospital diagnostic services, preventive and public health services, research, academics, and in quality assurance in industries and organizations;
- To produce professionals capable of identifying the various microorganisms involved in man and animal diseases as a first step towards the treatment of such diseases;
- To provide manpower for medical and veterinary diagnostic and research institutes such manpower will function in collaboration with other members of human and veterinary Health team in the care of individuals, groups and animals in the community;
- To produce biological and diagnostic reagents for the diagnosis of diseases of public health significance;
- To produce qualified graduates that will enrol into the M. Sc. Programmes in Microbiology worldwide;
The Department enjoys full accreditation status.
The only programme in the Department is that of B.Sc. (Hons) Microbiology.
The Department is currently housed in the Essien Udom Court.