The philosophy for the Department is Physics for national empowerment
To have facilities, well trained staff (academic and technical) and up-to-date equipment so as to provide an enabling environment for teaching, learning and research to produce well-trained students
The mission of the Department is to:
- provide a steady stream of undergraduates and postgraduates that are academically and professionally qualified for the development of Nigeria,
- provide academically and professionally qualified physicists who will advance the frontiers of science,
- provide professionals capable of working in all science-based industries and institutions including financial and electronic industries,
- contribute to the development of Northeast Nigeria, the nation and sub-Saharan Africa through the development of expansion programmes aimed at training and research tailored towards the needs of these areas,
- promote collaborative activities and exchange programmes aimed at establishing and fostering relationship with sister universities as well as other bodies within and outside the country, and
- provide extension and community-based services, such as project development, consultancy to governmental agencies, etc. in the North-east zone and the nation at large.
The Department has been granted full accreditation by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
Programmes offered include: B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes
The Department has laboratories (04); preparatory room (01); library (01) and laboratory equipment store (01).